With the holiday season finally here it is important to remember holiday safety precautions. By taking these basic precautions into consideration you can help to ensure that your whole family remains safe and injury-free throughout the joyful holiday season. Below are some holiday safety tips taken from the National Safety Council to share with your friends and family this holiday season:
Since many of us will be using ladders this holiday season to hang lights and decorations around our homes it is important to operate safety while using ladders:
- If you have a step ladder near a doorway make sure to lock or barricade the door and post signs so no one will open it and knock you off the ladder
- When climbing, keep your hips between the side rails and do not lean too far or overreach as this can cause you to lose balance and fall. Instead, reposition the ladder closer to the work.
- Be sure to use ladders with slip-resistant feet and wear clean, dry and slip-resistant shoes when climbing the ladder
Kitchen and Food Safety
Kitchen fires are highest during the holiday season; it is important to remember safety precautions when cooking:
- When preparing a holiday meal, make sure to wash hands, utensils, sink and anything else that may have come in contact with raw poultry.
- Be a smart host and include being sensible about alcoholic drinks. More than half of all traffic fatalities are alcohol related; it is important to make use of designated drivers or to allow guests to stay over after a night of drinking.
- Never use candles near trees, curtains/drapes or anywhere else that may be potentially flammable
- Keep all holiday plants out of reach of children. Although they may look good enough to eat, they can be poisonous to our bodies.
- Avoid placing breakable tree ornaments or ones with small, detachable parts on lower branches where small children or pets may be able to reach them.
- Use no more than 3 sets of lights per extension cord!
- Turn off all lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave your home; unplug extension cords when not in use.
If you find yourself in need of an attorney this holiday season due to personal injury, contact David Singer & Associates today.